THE BASTOW AND BINNIE AWARD IN URBAN STUDIES is a scholarship awarded to Urban & Community Studies (UCS) majors from the University of Connecticut who seek to pursue a future related to urban studies. This year’s award(s) is for $1,400.
Marc Bastow, an Urban Studies graduate, generously established this award for Urban and Community Studies students. The award(s) will be granted to students pursuing their undergraduate degree. The selection of the award will be based on academic merit, community involvement and need.
- Students must be a declared Urban & Community Studies major
- Students must be enrolled full time at UConn
- Preference will be given to students currently in their junior year, but all majors are encouraged to apply, including previous applicants
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 at 12pm noon
Download the application form by clicking here.
Page 1: Fill out your personal contact and academic information.
Page 2: Please provide thoughtful answers to the following four questions.
- Why did you choose Urban and Community Studies as your major?
- How has your academic merit and/or community involvement made you a stronger candidate for this scholarship?
- What are your career plans as it relates to urban studies?
- Please explain your financial need.
Applicants will be sent an e-mail acknowledgement starting February 27th confirming that the program has received their application. The UCS program will announce the winners of the Bastow and Binnie Award before the end of the spring semester. Scholarship funds are credited toward the recipient’s subsequent full time fall semester tuition bill.
If you have any questions regarding the scholarship or run into any issues with the application, please contact Maria Winnick at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 959-200-3771.
The application is a Microsoft Word template. In some versions of Microsoft Word, you may have to press the “Enable Editing” button on the light yellow ribbon above the document before it will allow you to fill in the application fields. Please note, this application needs to be submitted in its original format as a .dotx to ensure that we can open it once it has been received by our office.
Don’t forget to save a copy of your application on your computer before submitting it to our office.
Don’t forget to proof your application.